Corporate Offices - Auburn Hills United States
Purchasing’s mission is to maximize shareholder value of every dollar of external spend and provide our internal and external customers with a supply base delivering defect-free parts, on-time, at the best total cost, and improve every day. The Buyer II will support the fulfillment of this mission via the Purchasing responsibilities for their assigned categories of components and/or raw materials.
Responsibilities of Position:
- Meet Supply Requirements – ensure uninterrupted supply of assigned commodities to Company plants and external customer by extension: right part at the right time at the right quantity.
- Drive and achieve year-over-year quality improvement targets for assigned commodities.
- Ensure assigned components are sourced on-time at best total cost, with a focus on global competitiveness and visibility, supporting of program requirements, and in alignment with globally connected commodity strategies.
- Follow the sourcing process for production parts in cooperation with the engineering group to meet cost, quality, and technology requirements.
- Meet cost savings targets for assigned commodities, including on-time implementation of cost savings actions such as commercial negotiations, VA/VE, and supplier resourcing. Mitigate negative cost effects related to commodity (i.e. tariffs, raw materials, etc.).
- Assist in developing and implementing commodity strategies for assigned commodities.
- Evaluate, develop and maintain a capable and effective supply base to support assigned commodities. Duties include working with current local and global suppliers and evaluating new suppliers for assigned commodities.
- Implement existing global purchasing procedures.
- Assist global commodity team for assigned commodities.
- Act as the Purchasing liaison with other departments and manufacturing locations.
- Meet assigned goals and objectives.
- Support Purchasing initiatives and development activities.
- 5 years of automotive industry direct materials purchasing experience.
- 3 years of experience purchasing metals or plastic components.
- Demonstrated commitment to Quality and continuous improvement.
- Ability to think strategically and analytically to interpret and negotiate contracts.
- Specialized knowledge of procurement and negotiations.
- Self-confidence and pre-disposition to action, sense of urgency to deliver against defined targets.
- Must have the ability to work autonomously as well as work in a team environment.
- Collaborative team player with strong communication and people skills in order to generate high rapport levels with customers, suppliers and colleagues.
- Able to excel in time management and able to work under pressure from internal and external sources.
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
- Valid passport and driver’s license.
- Ability to work at a personal computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Occasionally lifts and carries up to 10 pounds.
- Some of work time is spent standing, walking, lifting and bending.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field required.