Supervise a medium size group of technicians engaged in conducting engineering tests on products and/or product components. Supervise work, which is highly creative and involves the design and/or fabrication of special test devices and equipment. Responsible for efficient utilization of labor, material and equipment under the general direction of Lab management. Analyzes data and makes recommendations based on consultations with staff engineers on unusual and difficult technical problems within the limits of general practices and standards.
Responsibilities of Position:
1. Staffs lab; trains, develops, establishes work assignments, and evaluates employees.
2. Manage the operation of the lab to realize efficient, reliable, and accurate testing and analysis.
3. Assist in the writing of the annual budget required to support company financial plans.
4. Satisfactorily meet all outside lab accreditation standards including procedures, logs, maintenance, calibration, etc…
5. Support company goals and objectives.
6. Organize samples, materials, and information flow to satisfy internal and external customers.
7. Stay current with industry testing standards, specifications and technology.
8. Coordinates with design and development engineers on a regular basis on the progress of test and evaluation of test results.
9. Plans and meets project and test schedules.
10. Provided training support to the lab Technicians using lab test equipment.
11. Ensure compliance to ISO17025 laboratory quality standard requirements, and A2LA accreditation requirements.
12. Keeps lab manager informed of developments as required.
13. Analyzes problems involving the gathering and interpreting of data.
14. Assists by providing laboratory service in support of quality control audits and evaluation of customer issues.
15. Communicates with outside vendors and customers on problems involving test procedures.
16. Frequent contact with others outside the work group.
17. Maintains good employee relations among work group.
18. Coordinates the purchase of consumable goods and repair services.
19. Ensures good housekeeping, safety practices and the availability of adequate supplies and equipment.
20. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
21. Performs related duties and special projects as assigned.
1. Medium level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivating employees and eliciting work output.
2. Familiar with concepts associated with metallurgy and chemistry.
3. Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
4. Basic knowledge of materials, substances and their characteristics.
5. Familiarity with the more complex mechanical and/or electrical concepts.
6. Ability to read engineering drawings.
7. Working knowledge of engineering math.
8. Relatively high level of analytical ability where problems are complex.
9. Proficient computer skills and abilities with Microsoft Office products (SharePoint, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
10. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
1. Two-year minimum experience in a related field.
2. Completion of recommended Corporate Training programs.
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
1. Valid driver’s license.
1. Regular and predictable attendance.
2. Ability to work at a personal computer for extended periods of time.
1. Occasionally lifts and carries up to 50 pounds.
2. Some of work time is spent standing, walking, lifting and bending.
3. Works within an automotive components manufacturing office setting and may be exposed to heat, cold and fumes/chemicals.
Bachelors degree with or equivalent training.