Regional Risk and Environmental Compliance Manager
Corporate Offices - Auburn Hills United States
This position is responsible for providing environmental, health and safety, and facilities loss prevention leadership in order to meet the compliance and operation requirements for North American based plants, test facilities, and warehousing operations. This person will be the principle contact for all North America plants that are part of the Corporate Environmental Management System and will have primary responsibility for arranging and scheduling third party audits,conducting internal audits, training employees, interpreting and implementing policies, processes and procedures related to the corporate environmental management system. This person will support corporate safety initiatives, conduct safety risk assessments, and accident investigations.
The position requires travel to plants located in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
Responsibilities of Position:
- Plans, develops and manages company policies and procedures for adhering to local, state and federal environment, health and safety regulations in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
- Designs and develops environmental,health and safety, and facilities loss prevention work practices, policies and procedures.
- Contributes to preparation,maintenance, and updating of facilities loss prevention, health and safety, and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all environmental, health and safety regulations, and keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization.
- Ensures assigned projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Management and oversight of the Environmental Management System to assure across the board conformance to the current ISO 14001 standard, the requirements of the respective registrar, certification body, company policies, procedures,and objectives.
- Provide input and recommendations related to chemical procurement for the plants including review of Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and hazardous materials inventory management process and procedures.
- Manage and oversee contractors required for environmental investigation and remediation, and/or occupational health and safety projects, including bid and specification process.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Assists Global EHS Director and Global Facilities Risk Manager in fulfillment of insurance and facility risk management related assignments for North American facilities.
- Performs related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Develops and presents training and materials for plant level personnel on environmental compliance,safety, and loss prevention topics.
- 5-10 years relevant experience
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks with complex requirements and aggressive due dates
- Effective communication skills across varying levels in the organization (ranging from production associates to senior management)
- Knowledgeable with respect to US, Canadian, and Mexican Federal, State, and Local Environmental Health and Safety legislation and implementation of the regulations.
- Automotive or manufacturing industry background
- Experience auditing Environmental Management and or Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- Proficient in Microsoft related software (i.e., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to independently perform research related projects
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Attention to detail (specifically as it relates to communication, reporting, and documentation skills)
- Effective planning and organizational skills
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
- Valid driver’s license
- Travel will be required
- Occasionally lifts and carries up to 25 pounds
- Some of work time is spent standing,walking, lifting and bending
- Works within an automotive components manufacturing office setting and may be exposed to heat, cold and fumes/chemicals
Must be able to speak fluent English and Spanish
Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental, Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or related field